This project aims to provide funding for a major enhancement of Wanderer.
- Bring wanderer to a level equal to the original workbench.
AppMenu/Icon/Window support must be functional, as well as all normal menu
operations. The Arexx functionality needs to be implemented and working with
all supported commands from workbench. Icon/Detail views need to be working
correctly, including resizing/reordering columns in detail view.
- Rework the internals of wanderer to allow plugins that
extend or provide new functionality. Existing functionality that is “above” the
level provided by wanderer should be moved into separate plugins so that
users/distribution builders can provide those they deem appropriate.
- Implement menu handling in such a way that plugins can
directly manipulate the entire Wanderer menu structure, instead of just having
access to the tools menu as is traditionally made available via AppMenu’s.
- Ensure keyboard input handling allows wanderer to be used
when a mouse is unavailable. This includes navigation aswell as basic handling
of selected files (deleting etc).
- Provide support for context sensitive menu options via defaulticon’s.
base defaulticons should be able to expose new menu commands displayed when
specific icons are selected.
- Rework enumeration handling so that child threads are used
to handle IO. This allows the windows to remain responsive while operations are
- Implement buffering for the iconlist rendering to remove
flickering when working with the iconlist view.
Some behaviour changes will occur -:
- Behaviour for displaying contents of alien volumes (e.g.
with no .info file) will be user settable in the prefs.
- File handling on the same volume will default to moving
instead of copying.
- Selection handling will be reworked to allow single click
launching, etc, to allow easier use on tablets and other non-mouse based input
Additionally the following plugins will be provided.
- The current location input “toolbar” implemented as a separate
plugin, which also provides location history for the window. The location input
also displays an icon representation of the current location, and adds drop support
for changing locations when an icon is dropped upon it.
- The status bar implemented as a plugin.
- The existing “AROS” specific menu options moved to a separate
- A new “Drawer” navigation panel plugin, that allows easier
single window file management and navigation. Enumeration of locations is
handled by the main wanderer classes and displayed as a tree.
- A thumbnail plugin that replaces the icon handling in
wanderer with the ability to display thumbnails of supported media files (via
- A network location plugin that serves as a place holder
for additional network location plugins.
- An SMB browser plugin that enumerates SMB services
available on the network. Access to network shares is done by dynamically
mounting the chosen shares via SMBFS, as needed.
N.B – by default, and with no plugins – wander will look and
feel like workbench.